Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Announcements: 3rd Sunday of Lent

Dear Holy Rosary Mission Parishioners, here are a few announcements:


During my visit to Clarks Point this week I gave communion to Louise Gardiner, the elder of the village.


Scrutinies: After Mass the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Sundays of Lent we well call up the people to be confirmed, along with their sponsors, to receive the Scrutinies. A scrutiny is a special prayer that helps prepare a person for confirmation. The people to be confirmed (candidate, confirmandi, and catechumen) will be called up after the Homily for this first Scrutiny.

Confirmation: After Mass this Sunday I would like those to be confirmed to stay after Mass to learn more about the Mass Parts and the Creed. Please plan on staying after with your sponsor. People to be confirmed this year are Golda, Josh, Kara, Jim I., Jim L, and Alaina.

Thank you: Thanx to Pat for tearing down some shelves downstairs in the storage room in the church. I have hired Scott King to install a shower in the women’s bathroom. Pat’s work help to save us some money.

Shower Installation: Scott King will be installing a shower in the basement of our church, in the women’s room. It will hopefully be completed just before Holy Week. Please be patient while this work is being done as the basement of the church may be a bit hard to navigate around in during the next couple of weeks. The shower will help accommodate the 12 youth and three adults who will be on retreat this summer (July 5 through July 9). The shower will be paid for from a couple generous donors. Parts and Labor will be between $2,500 and $3,200.

Thank you: Thank you to Aileen Walsh for offering the Communion Service this last Sunday as I was stuck in a blizzard for two days in King Salmon. I normally call Aileen an hour before Mass begins in Dillingham to inform her I am stuck somewhere. As a result she only has a very short time to prepare. I wait until the last minute because I am hoping and praying that the weather will clear enough for me to make the 64 mile flight back to Dillingham. Thank you very much AILEEN!

Little Black Book: For Sunday, Feb 28 the “Little Black Book” talked about prayer. It said that one of the main reasons for prayer is not necessarily WHAT you pray for, but THAT you are praying. Prayer says, “I am having a relationship with God. I am strengthening my bond with God. I am acknowledging that Jesus is the center of my life.”

Gospel: Year A instead of Year C will be used this Sunday. Year A will be used because it is tailored to confirmation. This Sunday the Woman at the Well tries to choose between the pure clean cold water in Jacob’s well or the living water that Jesus has to offer.

Travel: Next week, Monday through Thursday, I will be in Anchorage for our annual convocation.

Have a great week and remember to abstain from meat on Friday. Fr. Scott

No comments: