Monday, February 22, 2010

Announcements: 2nd Sunday of Lent

Dear Holy Roary Mission Parishioners, here are a few annoucnements:

Confirmation: After Mass this Sunday will be a meeting for all those who want to be confirmed, i.e. Gwen, Josh, Kara, Jim L., Alaina, Jim I, (and anyone else who is thinking about being confirmed). The topic will be the Creed and the Mass Parts.

Scrutiny: During the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Sunday of Lent we ask those to be confirmed to come forward with their sponsors for special prayers called the “Scrutinies.” For those being confirmed, please plan on attending mass with your sponsor on those Sundays.

My Away Schedule: March 8 through March 11 I will be attending the annual convocation for all the Alaskan Priests. April 12 to April 19 I will be in Yakima, WA for a Canon Law Convention. April 27 through May 3 I will be in Mount Angel for continuing Education.

Gospel: The letter from Saint Paul to the Philippians asks us to be Imitators of Christ. By being good examples for others we open ourselves up to the love of God. It is that love, shining on us, that we can become transfigured. The transfiguration to me means that something happens in our lives that make us see God in a brighter light. When my friend Eric invited me to the Catholic Church for the first time I was transfigured.

Thank you (Basement Water): We are still having problems with water in the Church basement. I tried putting up gutters, covering the ground with plastic, shoveling dirt over it, and planting grass two years ago and it worked for one year. But I had to take down the gutters because I put them up wrong and they were leaking. So, thank you to The JD and Dee Dee Bennis and Pat Durbin for mopping up gallons of water!

Fuel Donation: Saint Andrew in Eagle River, Alaska made a generous donation to our fuel fund this month. The total was $6,358.03. Thank you very much to all those generous people at Saint Andrew. Your kindness is greatly appreciated. Nine of the Archdiocese of Anchorage parishes give to our heating fuel fund. The heating fuel, on average, is about $12,000 per year (Church and Rectory). Holy Rosary prays a rosary for these parishes the first Sunday of every month.


Have a great first week of Lent. Fr. Scott

No comments: