Monday, June 29, 2009

Announcements: 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Dear Holy Rosary Parishioners, here are some important announcements:

Subsistence fishing: After about ten minutes of having my net out for the first time this year, I got a few hits. I pulled in the net on the pulley system and there was a huge king and a few reds. In about 30 minutes I had enough reds to smoke (10 reds, known as sockeye). It was a beautiful day. Pat Durbin came down to check things out. It is his fishing gear that I am using. He pointed out the floating island in the picture and that my King Salmon was around 38 pounds. More about Pat below.




Rosary: After Mass this Sunday we will be praying a Rosary for all of our generous benefactors, especially those Anchorage Archdiocesan parishes who have helped us with heating fuel. All are welcome to join us this Sunday.

Youth Visit: Twelve youth from Saint Benedict and Saint Elizabeth parishes should be here July 6 to July 10. We have a great week planned for them such as a visit to Clarks Point, a bon fire, community service (Dillingham Grave Yard), Peter Pan tour, Mass at the Senior Center, and daily Mass. If you are interested in joining us, please do, all are welcome.

Canon Law: My visit to Anchorage last week pulled me a little deeper into the realm of canon law. Currently I am defender of the bond, which means if a person wants an annulment, I fight against it. In the 46 cases I did this year, I won one. Now, they want to make me Judicial Vicar and Judge of the tribunal. I told them that with communication the way it is I could practically run the tribunal from here in Dillingham. I think they were OK with that. I will be traveling to Anchorage once every two months this next year to train out to be the Judge.

Gospel: Jesus preaches in his own home town. The people remember him as a carpenter’s son. Now he is claiming to be the Messiah? This same boy who we hung out with in school? This same boy who we teased and played ball with? The people are envious and run Jesus out of town. How can we overcome this sin of envy?

Status on Pat: Pat Durbin has returned from Anchorage. To help his circulation, surgeons had to run some kind of wire down the veins of his legs. His entire stomach is bruised but he his walking around. In fact, he walked part of the way to Holy Rosary from the Airport. He will be returning to Anchorage in a couple of weeks to possibly have a shunt/stint? put into his heart.

Thank you: Thanks to Brian for volunteering to be altar server at the two funerals we had. He was a tremendous help to me in ensuring a prayerful and distraction free environment for the mourners. Thank you to all who helped at the funeral for Terry Nelson. The potluck and decorations were wonderful!

Prayers: Please pray for vocations to the priesthood and religious life this week.

Have a fantastic week and see you Sunday...Fr. Scott

No comments: