Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Announcements: 5th Sunday of Easter

Dear Holy Rosary Parishioners, here are a few announcements:

Gospel: Jesus says, “I am the vine and you are the branches. Remain in me and you shall be fruitful.” This is a beautiful image from John’s gospel. It reminds me of all those dedicated Holy Rosary parishioners who have donated so much time and talent to our Church. One of those people was the late Father Jim Kelly. During the homily this Sunday, I will be showing a 12 minute video he made back in the early nineties.

One Bread One Body: I will be taking up a collection for the Archdiocesan annual appeal, One Bread and One Body. This money goes directly to missions like ours. We have a goal of $2000. I plan to give $100 myself. One can donate on-line as well. Go to my website, www.holyrosaryalaska.org, scroll down to the bottom, and click on the Archdiocesan web page.

Time and Talent: Use your special God given gifts to help our Church. Please let me know if you would like to donate time and talent to Holy Rosary.


Memorial Day Graveside Mass: The 25th of May, on a Monday, is Memorial Day. I am thinking about having a mass in the grave yard (outside) in remembrance of all those who have died. I would like to hear your ideas and input on this.

Youth to visit Holy Rosary: If you know any work that people need done in Dillingham, please let me know, i.e. call me or email me. I plan to have a work day for the youth who will be hear from Anchorage, Tuesday, July 7th. Pat already said he has some wood he needs packed and stacked.

Swine Flu: The swine flu has recently devastated Mexico City. We have been taking precaustions in the United States. Below is a memo that the Archdiocese came out with. Please read it carefully.

Have a wonderful week…Fr. Scott

MEMO about the swine flu from the Archbishop of Anchorage:

Please read the following at all of your weekend Masses and begin the implementation immediately.

With the rapid spread of the influenza/swine flu, I believe it wise at this time to take appropriate precautions at our Catholic Masses. Effective immediately, I would ask that the following measure be taken in the Catholic Churches of the Archdiocese of Anchorage for both Sunday and weekday Masses:

1) Suspend the handshake of peace. We will bow to each other at the Sign of Peace;
2) Suspend the holding of hands during the Lords Prayer;
3) Distribution of precious blood from a common cup is optional;
4) Eucharistic Ministers should use an alcohol based hand gel prior to distributing Communion and following.


These requests will be in effect until further notice. To date, no cases of the virus have been reported in Alaska. Hopefully this will continue to be the situation.

Finally, I encourage everyone to use common sense. If you feel ill or are ill, please do not come to Mass or participate in any parish activities. You are exempt from your obligation to participate in the Eucharist when you are ill.

If you or your parishioners are interested, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has more information on their web site. The link to that is: http://www.usccb.org/liturgy

No comments: